Guide to Extension
of the Work Permit
I. Law Bases
1. Administrative License Law of the People’s Republic of China.
2. Article 41 under the Exit and Entry Administration Law of the People’s Republic of China: Foreigners who work in China shall obtain work permits and work-type residence permits in accordance with relevant regulations. No entities or individuals shall employ foreigners who have no work permits or work-type residence permits.
3. Article 7 under The Regulations of the People’s Republic of China on Administration of the Entry and Exit of Foreigners: To apply for the R visa, the applicant shall meet the qualifications and requirements set by the competent authorities of the Chinese government for inviting persons of high talent or urgently needed specialists, and the applicant shall, in accordance with relevant provisions, submit the relevant certification documents; To apply for the Z visa, the applicant shall, in accordance with relevant provisions, submit the work permit and other certification documents.
Article 16: To apply for a work-type residence permit, the applicant shall submit such certification documents as a work permit; in the case of a person of high talent who is needed or, a specialist who is urgently needed, by the State, the applicant shall submit relevant certification documents in accordance with relevant provisions.
4. Letter of Opinions on the Integration of Work Permit for Foreigners by the Office for Administrative Examination and Approval System Reform under State (SGBH < 2015>No.95).
II. Requirements for Documents Provided
1. All paper versions of original documents and the translated versions must be electronically uploaded to the Service System for Foreigners Working in China.
2. Non-Chinese credentials shall be translated into Chinese and stamped with the official seal of the employer (except for passports and international travel certificates).
3. Foreign High-end Talents (Category A) have no need to submit paper documents for verification, while Foreign High-end Talents (Category A) through salary commitment and Foreign Professionals (Category B) shall submit the originals of all the documents uploaded at the reception window for verification.
III. Documents Required
1. Application Form for Extension of Foreigner’s Work Permit: Fill in the online application – print it out – send to the applicant for signing – stamp it with the employer’s seal – upload it to the system.
2. Employment contract or employment certificate: Contract in Chinese, employment certificate, or dispatch letter.
3. Passport or international travel certificate: Information page of the passport or of the international travel certificate.
4. Applicant’s valid residence permit: Information page of the residence permit.
5. Other documents: Documents provided as required by the reception authority or the decision – making authority.
1. If the employer continues to employ the applicant at the same position (occupation), it shall submit the application to the decision – making authority 30 days or more before the expiration date of the applicant’ s work permit.
2. Foreign High-end Talents (Category A) who apply for an extension through salary commitment shall submit the relevant certificate.
3. For pre-approval by the industry competent authority by law, an approval document of the industry competent authority shall be provided.
4. The employer shall update the chip information of the Work Permit for Foreigners, with the Work Permit for Foreigners and the printed electronic receipt within ten days from the date on which the permit is approved.
5. Policy Release
For policies, guides, and some sample forms and commitments for Foreigner’s Work Permit in China, please refer to the website of Shanghai Municipal Administration of Foreign Experts at http://shafea.sh.gov.cn and the website of Shanghai R&D Public Service Platform at http://www.sgst.cn
6. Those professional service agencies authorized with the procedure of application extension, changing, cancellation or re-submission shall submit the Letter of Authorization of the employer, in which the authorized entity, the authorized person and his / her ID number and telephone number, and the authorized matters shall be clearly specified. That is, the professional service agency, the authorized person and the corresponding authorized matters shall be clearly specified.
V. Examination & Approval Period
1. Preliminarily review period: Five working days
After the complete and qualified documents are submitted, including preliminary review and reception for Foreign High-end Talents (Category A) (except for those through salary commitment.)
2. Review period: Five working days
For Foreign High-end Talents (Category A) , after the documents are received online; for Foreign High- end Talents (Category A) through salary commitment and Foreign Professionals (Category B), after the originals of the paper documents are verified and confirmed at the reception window.
In case of special circumstances requiring an extension of time limit, the reception authority or the decision-making authority shall handle the matter as appropriate.
VI. Reception way and time
1. Reception at the window
Reception Department: Shanghai R&D Public Service Platform (Shanghai Scientific and Technological Talents Development Center / Shanghai Service Center for Foreigners Working in China)
Address: 1F 77 Meiyuan Road Jing’an District, 3F 1500 Minsheng Road Pudong New Area.
For other sites, please refer to the list of names and addresses of the handling authorities (at the website of Shanghai Municipal Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs http://shafea.sh.gov.cn and the website of Shanghai R& D Public Service Platform http://www.sgst.cn)
2. Online reception
Please directly access to the Service System for Foreigners Working in China https://fwp.safea.gov.cn; or access to it via the government affairs service platform of the Ministry of Science and Technology at https://fuwu.most.gov.cn
Window reception time:
Monday – Thursday: 9:00 – 11:30, 13:30 – 17:00
Friday: 9:00 – 11:30, 13:30 – 15:00
Number taking time:
Monday – Thursday: 8:45 – 11:15, 13:15 – 16:45
Friday: 8:45 – 11:15, 13:15 – 14:45
*This Instruction is made and executed in both Chinese and English. In case of any discrepancy between the two languages, Chinese version shall prevail.
Source: Guide to Extension of the Work Permit for Foreigners No.4
Shanghai Public Security Bureau Exit-Entry Management Bureau (1500 Minsheng Rd, Pudong, Shanghai, China)