Guide to Replacement
of the Work Permit
for Foreigners in China
I. Law Bases
1. Administrative License Law of the People’s Republic of China.
2. Article 41 under the Exit and Entry Administration Law of the People’s Republic of China: Foreigners who work in China shall obtain work permits and work-type residence permits in accordance with relevant regulations. No entities or individuals shall employ foreigners who have no work permits or work-type residence permits.
3. Article 7 under The Regulations of the People’s Republic of China on Administration of the Entry and Exit of Foreigners: To apply for the R visa, the applicant shall meet the qualifications and requirements set by the competent authorities of the Chinese government for inviting persons of high talent or urgently needed specialists, and the applicant shall, in accordance with relevant provisions, submit the relevant certification documents; To apply for the Z visa, the applicant shall, in accordance with relevant provisions, submit the work permit and other certification documents.
Article 16: To apply for a work-type residence permit, the applicant shall submit such certification documents as a work permit; in the case of a person of high talent who is needed or, a specialist who is urgently needed, by the State, the applicant shall submit relevant certification documents in accordance with relevant provisions.
4. Letter of Opinions on the Integration of Work Permit for Foreigners by the Office for Administrative Examination and Approval System Reform under State (SGBH < 2015>No.95).
II. Requirements for Documents Provided
1. All paper versions of original documents and the translated versions must be electronically uploaded to the Service System for Foreigners Working in China.
2. Non-Chinese credentials shall be translated into Chinese and stamped with the official seal of the employer (except for passports and international travel certificates).
3. No paper documents shall be submitted for verification.
III. Documents Required
Documents required for name change:
1. Application Form for Replacement of Foreigner’s WorkPermit: Fill in the online application – print it out – send to the applicant for signing-stamp it with the seal-upload it to the system.
2. Applicant’s description of loss or damage
3. Announcement of Loss in the system.
4. Other documents: documents provided as required by the reception authority or the decision-making authority.
1. To replace the Work Permit for Foreigners, the applicant shall release the announcement of loss on the Service System for Foreigners Working in China from the date of the loss or the date when discovering the loss, and apply for the replacement to the permit decision-making authority; if the work permit is damaged, please apply wth the original permit.
2. The employer shall take the printed electronic receipt to the reception authority for replacement within ten days from the date on which the permit is approved.
3. Policy Release
For policies, guides, and some sample forms and commitments for Foreigner’s Work Permit in China please refer to the website of Shanghai Municipal Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs at http://shafea.sh.gov.cn and the website of Shanghai R&D Public Service Platform at http://www.sgst.cn
4. Those professional service agencies authorized with the procedure of application, extension changing, cancellation, or re-submission shall submit the Letter of Authorization of the employer, in which the authorized entity, the authorized person and his / her ID number and telephone number, and the authorized matters shall be clearly specified. That is, the professional service agency, the authorized person and the corresponding authorized matters shall be clearly specified.
VIII. Examination & Approval Period
1. Five working days (for preliminary review and reception, after the complete and qualified documents are submitted).
2. Review period: Five working days (from the day when the documents are accepted online).
In case of special circumstances requiring an extension of time limit, the reception authority or the decision-making authority shall handle the matter as appropriate.
VI . Reception way and time
1. Reception at the window
Reception Department: Shanghai R&D Public Service Platform (Shanghai Scientific and Technological Talents Development Center / Shanghai Service Center for Foreigners Working in China)
Address: 1F 77 Meiyuan Road Jing’an District, 3F 1500 Minsheng Road Pudong New Area.
For other sites, please refer to the list of names and addresses of the handling authorities (at the website of Shanghai Municipal Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs http://shafea.sh.gov.cn and the website of Shanghai R& D Public Service Platform http://www.sgst.cn)
2. Online reception
Please directly access to the Service System for Foreigners Working in China https://fwp.safea.gov.cn; or access to it via the government affairs service platform of the Ministry of Science and Technology at https://fuwu.most.gov.cn
Window reception time:
Monday – Thursday: 9:00 – 11:30, 13:30 – 17:00
Friday: 9:00 – 11:30, 13:30 – 15:00
Number taking time:
Monday – Thursday: 8:45 – 11:15, 13:15 – 16:45
Friday: 8:45 – 11:15, 13:15 – 14:45
*This Instruction is made and executed in both Chinese and English. In case of any discrepancy between the two languages, Chinese version shall prevail.
Source: Guide to Replacement of the Work Permit for Foreigners No.6
Shanghai Public Security Bureau Exit-Entry Management Bureau (1500 Minsheng Rd, Pudong, Shanghai, China)